Minecraft: Pocket Edition 0.8.0 update now live - Minecart, Rails and a ton of other stuff
If you follow this site on a regular basis then you know we've been apart of the beta testing going on since it launched recently. Reporting on the upcoming 0.8.0 update for Minecraft: Pocket Edition has been fun because there's just so much coming with this update that even the official changelog on Google Play doesn't mention it all. The update is now here for everyone who have been patiently waiting for it.
Like we mentioned in past articles about this update, this is one of the bigger, if not the biggest, update to hit Minecraft: Pocket Edition. Minecart, Rails, Redstone, new blocks and functionality taken right from the PC version, new food and a lot more. Here's the full changelog of everything coming in this update.
Official 0.8.0 Changelog:
* Separated far and near chunks in two queues for performance reasons * fog only on far chunks * transparency only on near chunks * alpha-test-only layers are hidden in far chunks * Made the torch an opaque block * Mipmaps! (on iOS) * 3D clouds with new tessellation algorithm * New texture atlas and texture generator script * Refactored OpenGL usage to avoid costly state leaks (eg. animals aren’t alpha tested anymore) * Far rendering distance * New defaults and changed options * added far (256) and farthest (400) rendering distances * removed smooth lighting (now always on) * fancy is now default on * default rendering distance is now far * Refactored most of the rendering to use indexed VBOs * remade arrow model * inventory is now rendered using cached VBOs * new sky rendering using a triangle fan
New colors and textures
* brought all textures from pc (eg. gravel) * new grass color * new sky color * new water color in the distance * Water fades to non-transparent in the distance (iOS)
* sideways logs * sponges * jungle, birch, spruce stairs * jungle slabs * pumpkins * potatoes * carrots * beetroots * cobblestone wall * iron bars * tall grass, fern and dead bush * hay bale * coal block * carpets * rails and powered rails
* pumpkin pies * beetroot soup * flint and steel, top snow and ice in creative * iron bars * clock * compass * minecarts * redstone dust (can’t be placed!)
* New creative inventory with tabs * Dynamic PC-like lighting on entities * ambient light tinting * light direction depends on sunlight direction * New rendering for items in hand * Transparent toolbar! * When selecting an item in the inventory it replaces the one in the selected slot * Showing craftable recipes first in the crafting screen * Remade text formatting (e.g. in chat) * Stencil shadows * Bone meal no longer fully grows crops * New fire effect * New bow rendering & animated items * New AI * breeding! * tempt animals by holding wheat (potato, carrot or beet root for pigs) * Added inertia to item in hand and “breathing” idle animation * Rotating tiles to hide repeating tile patterns
If you've been waiting for this update to arrive, which there are many of you doing just that, you can now download it off of Google Play.
Google Play Link: Minecraft: Pocket Edition 0.8.0 update